Peter Lydon is an Irish rugby player currently playing in France with Rouen Normandie Rugby in the Pro D2.
Peter talks about the crazy turn of events that saw him go from playing average Irish club rugby to signing with State Francais and playing with Sergio Parisse. We chat about his journey from playing schools rugby in Kilkenny College, playing with me in the Lansdowne under 20s team, Seapoint RFC and then going on to play professionally in England and France.
We also chat about;
- Why he decided to move from France to England during Covid.
- Why he moved down leagues to pursue his pro rugby dream.
- What as it was like being Morne Steyn’s back up in Stade.
- Getting Irish soccer trials & giving up on that dream.
- How he got confidence as a young player.
- How he realized he had to stop listening to people and look within.
- Conor O’Shea from Harlequins trying to poach him.
- Being coached by Mike Friday.
- How professionalism in the Championship changed.
- What England need to do differently with their structures.
- What the All Ireland League need to do differently.
- Not seeing eye to eye with his Head Coach & deciding to leave.
- The business he would like to open when he retires.
- The studies he decides to start recently.
- His experience playing Pro D2.
- Hostile receptions he’s got in France from fans.
- Contract clauses if they get relegated.
Link to join The 1st XV Patreon & get extra podcasts
Link to Support the Pod
My instagram is @offfieldrugby - The Off Field Rugby Coach, any feedback you have or thoughts for the pod, please DM me there, would love to hear them.
Please share the podcast with some friends,
please subscribe/follow the podcast wherever you’re listening, &
Please leave a rating and a review on Apple Podcasts, letting me know what you like about the pod. Thank you
Really appreciate you clicking in, cheers!
Get the bonus Podcasts on Patreon
See acast.com/privacy for privacy and opt-out information.